HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  RSSRSS  

Share | 

Poor Design Kills

Go down 
AuthorMessage
YSL
Wallflower
Wallflower

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2006-09-19

PostSubject: Poor Design Kills   Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:13 am

Do you remember the incident whereby a cyclist crashed into an overhead bridge barrier and became paralyzed? LTA (Land Transport Authority) then conducted an online poll to decide whether to remove such barriers. These barriers are now gone.

The barriers were erected to prevent cyclists from cycling on the bridge. Cycling on the bridge poses a threat to pedestrians, as cyclists tend to speed down the slope. However, something must be obviously wrong with the design, which caused the accident.

One possible remedy is to erect warning signs or to illuminate the barriers. Nonetheless, this may not be a good solution, because there is still a chance for cyclists to miss the warnings and crash into the barriers the most effective way to avoid an accident is to remove the hazard. Moreover, cyclists can still speed down the slope and slow down just before the barrier. Hence, besides being unsafe, erecting barriers is an ineffective solution.

Now that the barriers are gone, to prevent cycling on the bridge, LTA revert to an established, effective, low cost, and easy to implement solution:

Surprisingly, this established and world-renowned solution does not seem to work well this time:

Do you have a better solution? The solution must be friendly to wheelchair users.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chimestar
Hunky-dory
Hunky-dory

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2006-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Poor Design Kills   Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:14 pm

hmm... perhaps the location of the barriers were inappropriately placed. If the barriers were placed at the start of the ramp down instead of the end, there would be less affordance for cyclist to ride down the ramp (since he'd have to get off and push the bicylce trhough the barriers).

Also signs could have be prominently place in advance to warn the pedestrain of upcoming changed (similar to the atm message that was shown a while ago before they installed a new device). With sufficient warning pedestrain would be more careful and accidents can be prevented.

But i wondered, is this ramp meant for handicapped people? I cant see the side view of the original barriers but that doesn't seem very handicap friendly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
YSL
Wallflower
Wallflower

PostSubject: Re: Poor Design Kills   Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:32 pm

I'm not sure about the effectiveness of placing the barriers at the start of the ramp. I think cyclists would rather mount onto their bike again and ride down the ramp, as it has two long sections. Besides, it should be very thrilling to speed down the ramp. The two main characters in the above pics are doing stunts on their way down. Laughing

Placing adequate warning signs will reduce the chance of accident, but there is still a minor chance that the similar accident may happen.

Oh, I think the barriers should be a bit higher than the ones I drew. People on wheelchairs can actually go through them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chimestar
Hunky-dory
Hunky-dory

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2006-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Poor Design Kills   Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:26 am

well it seems that the next more commonly method would be to add humps to the ramp so that it at leasts slows down cyclist and discourages them from cycling down.

I wonder if instead of finding out how to prevent cyclist from riding down the ramp, should the question instead be : Can another solution be found for handicapped users?

The design of this ramp affords riding down for cyclist and is a safety hazard. It is also not the only long ramp I've seen in Singapore. So perhaps the design itself should be looked at instead of just adding things to correct the situation.

Perhaps the ramp could be broken into connected sections so that there is a bend in the ramp which can be navigated by handicapped users but is too sharp for cyclist to make a turn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
YSL
Wallflower
Wallflower

PostSubject: Re: Poor Design Kills   Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:36 pm

I think the hump idea is quite feasible and low cost to implement. But I'm not sure whether it'll create enough discomfort for cyclist to slow down and whether it'll be too uncomfortable for wheelchair users to ride up.

Breaking the ramp into connected sections should be very effective, but it'll cost a bomb to rebuild the ramp.

Hmm.. looks like there's no cheap and good solution.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poor Design Kills   

Back to top Go down

Poor Design Kills
Page 1 of 1